The director of the Missouri Junior Miss competition wrapped up the first day’s activities with one statement, “Remember girls, your most important asset is your smile. Use it!” A great smile isn’t just for successful models and movie stars. Research says a healthy, happy smile is critical to everyone’s success.
People who cover their mouths when they greet you, or speak with their heads down, looking away do so because they are embarrassed by their teeth. It takes approximately 7 seconds from the time you meet someone for them to form an opinion about you. If you cover your mouth or look away, people assume you’re rude. With so little time, you must make the best impression quickly. Hedge your bet with a beautiful smile.
A Healthy Smile Is a Confidence Builder
Not surprisingly, studies show that a great smile is a huge confidence builder. Greeting others with a healthy smile, making direct eye contact, and offering a firm handshake shows you are confident, friendly, and approachable. A study from Penn State University found that people perceive a smiling person as not just more likable, but more competent too. Plus, healthy teeth and gums mean fresh breath. There is nothing worse than being in a conversation with an important co-worker who has horrible breath.
Steps to a Brighter Smile
Does the appearance of your teeth prevent you from smiling? If so, you are probably missing out on opportunities.
There are several steps you can take to improve the look of your smile:
- Make sure your oral hygiene is at the top of its game. Brush and floss your teeth regularly, including brushing your tongue. Changing your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months makes cleaning more effective.
- Visit the dentist at least twice a year. You can conveniently set up your appointment with Dr. Bryan Foote, at his Columbia office.
- Discuss your cosmetic dentistry options for improving your smile with Dr. Foote.
- Is it teeth whitening? Dr. Foote offers professional teeth whitening that’s faster and much more effective than home whitening strips.
- Are you missing teeth? Dr. Foote creates dental implants specifically matched to the shape of your mouth and the color of your natural teeth. No one will ever know the difference.
- Do you have tooth decay or chipped teeth? Let Dr. Foote fill those cavities or cap them with crowns.
- Perhaps your teeth need to be straightened. Dr. Foote offers Invisalign, the modern alternative to braces.
As you can see, a brighter, healthier smile is just a phone call away. Build your confidence and boost your opportunities with a smile you will be proud to wear.